I

s it ok if I speak my language Sir?

Caught between learning the language and speaking yours is just an addition to academic load. From all corners of South Africa students come with their different languages but those languages will just have to wait for a minute and lets speak English now. Even history says that African languages were proved not to be good enough for education or to formulate academic concepts, so hey! tell me were is that mother tongue of yours going to take you Ha!?. In high school my teacher always encouraged us to speak English in class although we would mumble just to avoid being kicked out. Another old Rhodian once said “what am I going to do with my language were is it going to take me”?. Parents back at home would be so proud to hear their son or daughter speaking English and would encourage him to do so.

In Most South African Universities English stands as the medium of instruction, now is it ok for me to speak my Zulu, Sotho or Xhosa or should I speak English on campus, and hey! guys If you are coming to university next year I suggest you polish your English or bring a translator if you have one. Naledi Pandor in her visit to Rhodes recently this year said, quoted in the Oppidan Press edition 8,3 September 2008 p 3 that “ language is deeply connected with identity” and does this mean that I am going to loose my identity?. She also explained how non English speakers are at a disadvantage of learning in a language that is not their mother tongue.

Positively though that Rhodes university has an African languages section and won an award previously this year in it’s efforts for promoting multilingualism. Negatively however that many institution have objected to the proposal of teaching one of South Africa’s eleven languages. I believe that in a society that wants to develop it is crucial that different languages are recognised and people are encouraged to speak and understand one another’s languages. This is very important at tertiary level and a person does not necessarily have to do a course in Xhosa, Zulu or Afrikaans but at least should make the effort of learning any of the languages. It would be very exciting to have such a society and everyone would feel free to speak in their own language. So guys let us celebrate our different languages and let one feel free to speak in his or her own language.

0 comments:

Playlist


LOL Cats

ICHC Cheezburger Widget
more animals

Authors


Followers


Hit Counter



What's the best thing about Rhodes?


10 things every good Rhodent has done:

  • Woken up in muddy overalls
  • Smoked hubbly in the Bot gardens
  • Pre-drank at the Monument
  • Played noisy drinking games at the Rat
  • Kissed someone's Sloppy Seconds
  • Eaten a Mama Pam's boerie roll
  • Danced under the aircon at Friar's
  • Cringed at Thunda photos the next morning
  • Carried 5l of water back from the shops
  • Avoided walking through the middle of the Arch

SA blogs