Doe-eyed Drunkards


I love the stereotypes lecturers place first years’ in. We are lazy, we come to lectures hungover or just don’t come at all. Daddy pays for us to party to our heart’s content and in our spare time, we retain our DP by handing in the bare minimum.

My personal favourite is when lecturers complain to those present at a lecture about poor attendance. The phrase that comes to my mind is “preaching to the converted”. We are expected to deliver empty threats to our sleeping friends back at our residence about how their missing lectures will prove disastrous for their academic career. Do you honestly believe that we would do that? Or if we did, that it would make a difference? Here I was thinking this was the “real” world.

Since I was little, my mom always used to say to me “Good, better, best. Never let it rest, until the good is better and ‘till the better best.” I may have rolled my eyes but in the end, I took it to heart. My report cards would exclaim at my conscientiousness, and I received awards for my diligence on numerous occasions. And then I got to varsity. I don’t want to be berated but I refuse to be belittled.

I can’t count the number of times the lecture hall gets asked “have you been following the news?” This is followed up by a smirk and an all knowing smile insinuating “of course you haven’t.” Did I miss my cue to shoot my hand up and say, “Actually Sir, I woke up at six to read the seven, eight and nine o’clock news bulletins on
RMR this morning”? Why, of course I did. Because that’s not the answer he was looking for.

It’s easier to believe that the 100 or so people in the lecture hall, stumbled home after a “
cane train” and a “’mare” only to think “bra, maybe missing another lecture might like, look bad to that chick/dude I’m trying to pull.”

Maybe that way, when we graduate as future politicians, journalists and lawyers they can pretend like they moulded us from doe-eyed party animals into the respectable citizens we have become. It may be good for their self-esteem but it isn’t good for ours. Frankly, I think it’s demotivating and condescending.

As a first year, I want to work and yes, I want to have a good time, but contrary to popular belief, these are not mutually exclusive. I love going out for drinks, dancing and spending time with friends, but you soon realise that the most important thing at varsity is balancing a social life and your academics.

What lecturers don’t see are students running around interviewing people for newspapers like
Activate and The Oppidan Press. They don’t realise that the rings under people’s eyes are not always from partying, but from doing graveyard shifts at the campus radio station. And no one could appreciate the time and effort put in to doing your first mock trial except another Legal Theory student.

The tears, the stress, the sleepless nights - apparently it’s because we got too drunk, failed a test and went for naps.
Posted by Megs




Create Fake Magazine Covers with your own picture at MagMyPic.com

0 comments:

Playlist


LOL Cats

ICHC Cheezburger Widget
more animals

Authors


Followers


Hit Counter



What's the best thing about Rhodes?


10 things every good Rhodent has done:

  • Woken up in muddy overalls
  • Smoked hubbly in the Bot gardens
  • Pre-drank at the Monument
  • Played noisy drinking games at the Rat
  • Kissed someone's Sloppy Seconds
  • Eaten a Mama Pam's boerie roll
  • Danced under the aircon at Friar's
  • Cringed at Thunda photos the next morning
  • Carried 5l of water back from the shops
  • Avoided walking through the middle of the Arch

SA blogs